5 - Bob (cute dog photos included...)



(Want to listen to this post instead?  Less screen time!  For audio, click here.)


After I recovered from my first concussion in the autumn of 2012, I got a new job.  The first thing I had to do for this new job was to go to Toronto for a few days for a unique training opportunity.  I remember at that time being excited and hungry for learning.  I also had some preoccupation wondering how well I would handle my first travels and work training after the injury.  Though at that time, I had been doing very well.  I had been slowly increasing my day-to-day activities; I was part of a peer group led by a psychologist that helped me take appropriate risks to try new things again.  All that to say, I knew I was ready for the challenge.  My hotel in downtown Toronto was on the lakefront.  One evening, I walked along the sort of boardwalk and came across an indoor pet play park (cool!).  On the outside was a quote that said something like this: “I wish to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am.”

Before this, in the spring of 2012, I had just adopted my dog Bob the boxer.  Growing up, my family had mostly adopted dogs, so it was a no brainer (haha) for me to find my own dog through a rescue.  When I was a kid, we also had a boxer dog.  Those who know boxer dogs know that once you’ve had one, all you want are boxers for the rest of your life.  Bob came up on a rescue website and after completing many application forms, answering interview questions, providing reference checks, visiting Bob and then having a rep come and do a home check, Bob entered my life.  In spring 2012, I was still recovering from my first concussion, so when Bob came to his forever home, he and I were together all day.



Bob had never been trained to walk on a leash; he was super strong and energetic and sometimes pulled me around.  When he saw other dogs on the street, he would be confused why he couldn’t just go over and play with them.  This frustration would turn into a little “tantrum” as I like to call it, where he then turns to me and tries to play with me like I am a dog.  This gave me some panic, as I was worried about my head.  I took Bob to dog classes and private sessions to work on his quirks.  It took some time and I did have some moments being jerked on the leash when I worried about my head and neck and whether any whiplash resulted.  But nothing horrible ever happened and the challenges that came with Bob helped me to become even more confident.

He's not allowed on that chair...


Challenges aside, those who know boxers also know this: boxer dogs are sweet, kind, farty, goofy and snuggly as all get out.  They have their own personality - I swear Bob smiles when he’s happy and sighs when he’s frustrated!  They have so much love to give.  Boxers are the clowns of the dog world and make you smile every day of your life.  They can’t contain their excitement to see you, so instead of just wagging their tail (stubby or long), they bounce around and fold in half, wiggling with joy…I may be biased, but boxer dogs are the best.



One of my friends has referred to Bob as my “Therabob.”  I do believe I wouldn’t have made it this far if it weren’t for Bob.  When I’m sad, Bob snuggles next to me.  When I’m crying, Bob licks my face.  When I need extra rest, Bob lays next to me on the bed and patiently waits for me to get his food or to let him out.  When I’m demotivated by life, Bob sits on me or literally pushes the covers off me in bed then nudges me upright.  When it seems there is nothing else in the world that is on my side, I look next to me, and Bob is there.

A two for one!  Even when he had to wear the "cone of shame," he still sat on me and tried to lick my face :)


So this post is dedicated to Bob.  Truly, my best friend.

Your best friend in the world is the one who knows everything about you, and still likes you.  Well, Bob knows everything about me and more and all I can do to repay him is to be as good of a person as he thinks I am.  Though, he has set that “bark” pretty high… (haha - you see what I did there? BARK?? … I think Bob just sighed and rolled his eyes…)



- Krystal

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Feel Strong and like I Belong: Rock Climbing

Light

Self Doubt. Self Compassion.