Announcing a special series: Dating & Relationships with PCS


Image attribution: Photo © 2011 J. Ronald Lee, CC Attribution 3.0.
modified by cropping and adding brain and heart bubbles

This announcement made in audio on Souncloud. Click here!


February. It’s the month of love. Or where I’m from, it’s the month you try to book a vacation to somewhere down south to get away from the -40°. Either way, people look to heat things up this month so I thought a fun series on experiences with dating and relationships with brain troubles was called for.

I’m no relationship expert. In fact, I don’t think anyone is. Navigating dating and relationships can feel like navigating IKEA furniture instructions… in the dark. It can be awkward, clumsy, and messy. There are no satisfying instructions. You often need help and no one truly knows what they’re doing. The brain injury adds another layer of complication on top of it all. Like instead of feeling drunk on love, you just feel drunk assembling that bookshelf wondering if you should have been more picky, whether you should have chosen a sturdier item. How long before the weight of it all breaks and you’ll need to kick it to the curb?

Well that’s enough furniture analogy.

This series is a bit different from my other posts. Instead of creative writing, the following posts will be podcast interviews with friends of mine. We will share our stories about dating and relationships with our disability. The goal of these discussions is not to give advice, but simply to share our experiences in hopes that it may connect with others in similar situations. At the very least, it should be entertaining 😀

I will note, the discussion here is from the points of view of other cis hetero women like myself. I recognize it may not be 100% relatable for those with other lived experiences — but in the future I hope to create space for others to share these perspectives that are often underrepresented.

For now, sit back, lie down, take a few breaths and clear your mind so that we can try to warm the heart 💗

I’ll be releasing the first episode soon. Should my brain cooperate there will be three episodes in the series, all to be released this month.

I hope you enjoy listening to our journeys through dating and relationships with illness and brain injury.

Best in brain and relationship health for all,

- Krystal 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Feel Strong and like I Belong: Rock Climbing

Light

Self Doubt. Self Compassion.